Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Travel Bug

We finally have our passports back from renewing our visa's and man oh man do we have the travel bug!   I think it's because of the unnerving feeling of having your passport taken away from you for an extended period of time that when you get it back there's this rush to actually book a trip and use it!

Travel is great, and I love the adventures and experience we've had, but travel in Asia is CHALLENGING and today I'm frustrated to say the least!  I've spent my entire day trying to book what is suppose to be a quick weekend getaway.  The problem started with the flights, normally you go to Kayak or Expedia or direct to the airlines website and click, click, click you're done flights booked.  Here you go to the sites, click, click, click, your credit card is declined!  Today, my actual issue was with Visa, in the past it's been that the Chinese airlines and local booking sites here don't accept US credit cards(which is a whole other blog/rant on this topic).  So a few calls to Visa on Bill's phone while he's getting ready for work(because my phone doesn't work internationally), they won't talk to me because the account is a joint account but Bill is the first name on the list, Bill has to call them back on his way to work, another few hours later… FINALLY confirmation!  Whew, we're flying to Xi'an this weekend… next up hotel… and the VPN just went out, so much for searching on Google or actually having enough bandwidth to book an online reservation.
It's 3pm and I've managed to book a flight and a hotel… I'll call that successful!    

No comments:

Post a Comment