Friday, March 15, 2013

Frogger

Everyday so far I have walked somewhere and everyday so far I have feared for my life while crossing the road!!! After living in England I thought that China would be easy, however it's not so much the case. The roads here in Suzhou are large. There is a small bike/e-bike lane on the side, then a boulevard with bushes, then the 2 or 3 or sometimes 4 lanes for traffic going in one direction, then a big large boulevard and another 2 or 3 or 4 lanes and another bike/e-bike lane. I like to say crossing the road here is like playing a game of frogger... I get myself to the middle of a boulevard and then wait for the next 30 seconds. Because that's the other tricky part... you only get about 30 seconds to get across this massive road and to make things more complicated, cars that are turning don't have to stop! It's complicated. I'm attaching pictures of a few different roads and intersections for you to see but the pictures certainly don't do the task any justice! This last picture here is the intersection closest to our compound which I go through on average 4 times a day! My head is ALWAYS on a swivel here!

No comments:

Post a Comment