Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Towel Heaters

As with any new apartment/house you will find things here and there that don’t work or need fixing. And that’s normal, I know this. In the last few weeks we’ve had some light bulbs that have gone out, towel rack heating not working, figuring out how to use the heating/cooling, water pipes missing and not connected to the sinks. Oh ya know standard stuff! :-) This story is about TOWEL HEATERS! For those of you in the UK you know what these are and you LOVE them. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about here’s a picture. Did I mention already that I love them? The pipes heat up and you keep your towels on them and when you get out of the shower you have nice and toasty warm towels. So ours were not working, the bathroom has no heating, warm towels would be really really nice! Plus this apartment has never been lived in so it’s DAMP and SMELLY and I’m really looking forward to these towel racks being turned on so my towels in the bathroom will dry. Because right now there is so much stinky smelly moisture the towels don’t dry out all day or overnight and I’m really sick of taking a shower then grabbing a damp towel to dry off with! So back to it, 2 men come today, look at the racks, turn the knobs, start screaming at each other in mandarin.(Chinese people do not speak softly, makes me look quiet compared to when they talk!) One guy goes outside and starts screaming from out there - I go outside and he’s pointing at the pipes under the boiler that are just bare and empty and sawed off. Then he’s motioning about a bigger boiler and connections etc. Well this is all my interpretation. I nod, I smile, I know exactly what he’s saying. “You have a small boiler, you need a big boiler, you can not have heated towel racks.” Seriously, I’m bummed. I tell myself it’s okay, it’s fine, they’re just towel racks. I call our real estate lady, Cici, because I want to know if the boiler is the reason and if I interpretted these guys correctly. She calls me back.... Yep - the landlord did not want to invest anymore money into the apartment or pay for underfloor heating so she opted for a smaller boiler. But wait there’s a solution, we can ask the landlord for some floor heaters that you plug in to heat the bathroom since it gets cold. Really, a space heater instead of a heated towel rack?!?!?! UGH. And of course she didn’t want to “invest more into the apartment”. She hasn’t told us that 4 times already. I don’t know, it seems trivial to be angry over towel heaters but it’s the cumulation of all the shitty things our landlord has done since we’ve moved in. If you can't tell by my tone we’ve had some issues with our landlord to say the least. She’s a “business lady” as our real estate agent told us. So our brand new never been lived in apartment is scarcely furnished with minimal pieces even 1/2 a waredrobe(closet for you US folks). Yep 1/2 a closet- we have this large closet area in the master bedroom and well the wardrobe only fills up 1/2 of one wall. It’ll fit Bill’s clothes and we’re not even going to talk about my clothes or my shoes! So we asked for another becuase the other apartments we saw had 2. Nope, she’s not willing to spend anymore money in this apartment. Ugh, okay fine we’ll buy a cheap dresser and toss if off the balcony when we leave. Next onto the office, the desk is a tiny metal strip - yep you can fit a laptop on it and that’s about it. Bill’s not sure where the docking station, monitor and all his books/manuals, other office type materials will go. We asked for a book shelf - cheap Ikea is fine as we told her. Nope sorry, not wanting to invest anymore into the apartment. Oh come on you’ve said no to everything else how about a patio set?!?! hehe We have this great balcony, can I have 2 chairs and a small table? I’d really enjoy sitting outside in the morning to drink my coffee, and in the afternoon I can take a nap and hang with my sasparilla! Nope again not anymore investing. Okay but here’s the thing... we WILL NOT take this old dirty microwave. WINNER WINNER she agreed to get us a new microwave. WHEW. If this hadn’t been agreed to we would be looking for a new apartment. So now I find out the towel racks don’t work because she bought the cheap boiler. I’ve kind of had it with this lady what else is next. Oh and we still don’t have a couch... she says it’s coming at the end of the month. Wonder if she’s going to change her mind and not want to invest in a couch.

2 comments:

  1. A towel warmer use is the best for in every case as per bathroom selection. I need to know all these things so please give me the details on that. If you want to catch out some features by towelwarmeroutlet for Bathroom Towel Warmer then move on that.

    ReplyDelete