Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How many Chinese people does it take to setup a sofa?

WE FINALLY HAVE A COUCH!!! And with that, the question of the day is: How many Chinese people does it take to setup a sofa? Answer to follow... I joined the EAS(Expat Association of Suzhou) and today I was attending the 15th Anniversary AGM(Annual General Meeting). It was a meeting/luncheon/overview of what happened in 2012 and what's to come for 2013 at The Renaissance Hotel in Suzhou. There were 59 women and 1 man in attendance, when we arrived and checked-in each individual was given a really nice bracelet as a gift. There was a table for event sign-ups and a raffle with many prizes so naturally raffle tickets get purchased! We took our seats and the meeting began, then lunch was served which was a fabulous buffet of Asian and Western mixed foods and then the raffle began! Guess who got lucky today??? WINNER WINNER I came home with a coupon for brunch at the Kempinski Hotel in Suzhou and a certificate for a manicure and pedicure at a local nail spa! Hey, things are looking pretty good today. Towards the end of the event I check my phone and have a text from our real estate lady that our couch has arrived and the delivery worker's are sitting at our main gates of the compound! DOUBLE WIN FOR ME!!! I head out after the AGM, get home very excited to get the couch into the apartment! As soon as I get home I move the chairs out of the way. (We had some sitting chairs in our bedroom that we moved into the living room so we could watch TV and it'd feel like a living room at least.) Here's the before picture of the living room with the chairs. By the time I get the chairs moved the elevator is dinging, there's knocking at the door and in walk 3 men and 1 woman with a part of the couch! I probably could've managed that 1 part myself but... Yep it took 4 worker's to move the 2 sections of the couch! They plop it down get the second piece and then ask for 100RMB($16 USD roughly) with the couch in all the packaging lying in 2 pieces in the middle of the floor. Ummm, I hate to be rude but aren't you going to set it up I ask? They agreed and whew, now we have a couch and you know what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening! Ahhh, relaxing, starting to feel a teeny tiny bit like home. But not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment