Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Street Food - The Suzhou Pancake

Today was my first time eating street food since being in China!  I've avoided it at all costs for many obvious reasons - cleanliness, the thought of becoming ill, etc.  However, today I was with Rae and Tracy some other expats doing "vendor" business and we were on a street called Ping Jiang Lu - it's a famous cobbled street in Suzhou along the canal and Rae (who is Chinese) was hungry.  So we made a pit stop at this little stand.  Tracy and I split a pancake since we were both a bit unsure.

 Here is the lady rolling out the dough which they then add things too.  The one we tried had fermented vegetables rolled into it.
 Then the man puts the raw dough in the barrel and fires it/cooks it up.  Kind of like a wood fired pizza oven.

 He adds some spicy garlic chili sauce and folds it up.

Here's what the finished product looks like for 5rmb.  ($0.83 cents)

So far I'm not sick yet!  I wasn't crazy about the taste of the fermented vegetables, but Rae did say they have a fresh green bean one so maybe I would try that the next time I wander down this road.

Here's a shot of some men on the canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment