Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mahjong

Today I learned how to play mahjong!  Within the expat group I joined there is a smaller group called the Not Mommies(the criteria to be in this group is that you don't have children).  No offense to any of my mommy friends, it's just not fun to talk about poop and boobs!  Anywho, the Not Mommies meet once a week for lunch.  After a delicious lunch at a new restaurant in Suzhou called Wawa Wewe my new friends Gini and Bernadette and I ebiked over to Sara's house to play some mahjong for awhile.

Yep - we all rode on my ebike!  Gini's battery had died while we were on our way to lunch so hers was parked next to a tree and Bernadette met us at lunch, so I was the only one to ebike and since I didn't know where Sara lived we decided it'd be easiest to just all ride together.  It's China... more than 3 people always ride on ebikes, we figured why not!?!?!   Gini drove since she's an experience motorcycle rider and I was not nearly confident enough I could steer with 3 people on a bike.  Heck, Bill won't even ride with me driving!

So we make to Sara's in one piece and the girls are all set to teach me the game of mahjong!
Mahjong is a traditional Chinese game played with tiles where you make melds of 4 houses "suits" and try to make 4 three of a kinds and end with a pair all from the same house.  It's played by 4 players and was quite fun.  The girls told me it's similar to rummy which I played a long long long time ago as a child with Gramma once or twice so that didn't quite help me.  I think I'll be participating in mahjong regularily and will even invest in a game set to teach visitors and bring home as a keep-sake.

Here's the wikipedia rules/pictures of the tiles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong


No comments:

Post a Comment