Saturday, August 31, 2013

FORE... Oh Yea I'm That Bored!

Bill was a really happy camper today... I agreed to go to the driving range with him and hit balls!!!   Some of you know that I like golfing in social situations... AKA... with family and friends while up north.  The driving range - OH NO!  I think it's one of the most boring things to just hit balls into an empty green space.   The other reason I don't go there before a round is that I don't want to waste any good shots!  

It's been really really boring here in China the past month and that's mainly because of the heat.  Us northern folk can't really handle it - clearly based on my episode last week - check out the post "Chinese Road Rash" if you're not clued in!  Bill suggested the driving range and I agreed.  Why not have my first Chinese golf course experience even if it is only just the range.   An added bonus was that today was only 85 degrees with some semi blue skies and a breeze.  Bill actually said he thought it was "cool" out! 

So you drive up and the guys at the front grab your clubs, bring them around the back, put them in a cart and then drive you up to the range.   You're not allowed to walk on your own around this place.  There is always someone with your or watching you.  

When we got up to the range they bring you out the trays of balls once you pick your spot.  You don't need to do anything.  Pretty fancy service! 

I managed to hit 2 trays for a total of 60 balls. What can I say - it was kind of fun not sitting at home in the AC! 

I was way better than the Chinese guy next to me and 1/2 my shots didn't even make it 100 yards.   I blame that on the fact that Bill let me use his clubs since mine are in the good ol US of A and well Bill's clubs are pretty darn heavy and stiff.  

Bill was about 1/2 way through his 5 trays and 150 balls and one of the 3 the Chinese guys next to us just walked up and pulled the 8 iron out of his bag while rambling away in Chinese.  The other guy came over and started talking about how much heavier Bill's club was compared to the other guys and how their shafts were made in Japan but the heads in China and that because we were from the USA ours were made in US.  Then the guy proceeded to take 3 shots with Bill's club - I'm pretty sure my mouth was just hanging open and Bill turned his back and kept hitting the balls to avoid screaming at the guys for touching his clubs.  Really... who just walks up to a complete random stranger, takes a golf club out of their bag, examines it and then hits some balls with it???   I don't get these Chinese people! 

Thank goodness they didn't stay and play with Bill's clubs long.  We finished the trays in peace and then headed home back to the AC to cool off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment